I started on the seat tube sleeve today for Mia's bike. I have said before but I will say it again, when using Fillet Brazing the seat tube sleeve can be one of the few places you can really personalize the bike. With Mia's bike I plan on having cute little skulls all around the logo so I decided to carve one out of the ST sleeve. With this particular sleeve I am going a little bit out of my typical order of assembly. Typically I will carve out the seat tube sleeve first. Then, once all of the other tubes are mitered and brazed to the frame I will then silver braze the sleeve to the seat tube and then braze on the clamp and cut the "key hole" for the seat tube binder.
This time however I wanted to fabricate the whole sleeve at once, then silver braze it to the seat tube AND THEN start with the other tubes. The only major improvement of this method over my previous method is that I will be able to put silver flux down the sleeve before I try to braze it. Unfortunately by doing that when I brass braze the other tubes in the silver might start to melt, and I am not sure where it might go (hopefully it does not draw the silver from the edges and leave gaps that I will have to go back and touch up). I also managed to tack on the bottom bracket shell to the seat tube. Once I actually receive my alignment table in the mail I will be able to verify that it is truly perpendicular to the bottom bracket shell.
This last Labor Day weekend was the Hurricane Gateway Cup and it was a wet one. The race consists of a four stages starting on Friday and ending on Monday. The first two stages were extremely wet, the third stage was somewhat wet/dry and the final stage was perfect (if a little muggy). Anyhow it is great to see St. Louis embracing the cycling scene like it did!