I have wrapped up two bikes in the past week. The first was the track bike. Originally I had just gotten the frame powder coated white, but deciding later to add some color to the frame I decided to paint some classic red stripes on it.
The other frame I have been working on is a touring bike for my Dad. He is turning 60 and I wanted to build him something pretty nice. This particiluar fame was a little different as not only was I building the frame and fork but also the front and rear pannier racks.
Those racks took almost as long as the whole bike took, though they were some great practice and look really good on the bike. Also, if I know my dad, if he was ever to buy some racks they would be some cheap alluminum. These racks are 4130 cromolly (like all my frames) and built very strong. Also, they weigh about the same as some of the alluminum ones.
This touring bike gave me the opportunity to try out some new stuff that I had not previously had any experience with. The first was cantilever brake mounts. Not too complicated, they gave me the opportunity to build a jig that would place them at the optimal distance apart as well as the correct possition along the seat stays and fork legs.
I also had a chance to try out a new integrated seat tube collar that allows for a real neat connection and does not require using a seperate collar.